FUJIFILM Australia is pleased to announce the launch of the mirrorless digital camera Fujifilm X-H2 (X-H2) in September, 2022. The camera joins the lineup of X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, that are renowned for their outstanding image quality in both stills and video, delivered with Fujifilm’s outstanding, proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The X-H2 features the new back-illuminated 40.2MP X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR*1 sensor and the high-speed X-Processor 5. This new flagship model, delivers high-resolution stills as well as being the world’s first*2 APS-C camera to enable 8K/30P Apple ProRes*3 internal recording.
With the release of the X-H2, the “X-H series” now has two flagship models. The high-speed flagship model X-H2S excels in shooting fast moving subjects, whereas the high-resolution flagship X-H2 delivers exceptional image quality that transcends the normal quality limit for the format. With the twin flagship models, Fujifilm can cater for all the shooting needs of professional photographers and videographers.
“We are very pleased to launch the highest resolution camera in the history of X Series, and we are highly confident that this new model will be a success in Australia” says Mr Ryuichi Matoba, the new CEO of FUJFILM Australia. “Fujifilm are continuously challenging Full Frame. With the release of the twin flagship models, X-H2S and X-H2, Photographers and videographers can now choose the best solution to meet their content creation need”, adds Shaun Mah, General Manager of Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices of FUJIFILM Australia.
The unprecedented image quality delivered by the X-H2’s new sensor compared to its predecessors in the X-Series is complemented with advanced features including minimum standard ISO125, maximum shutter speed of 1/180,000 sec with electronic shutter, and the PIXEL SHIFT MULTI SHOT mode to enhance visual expressions. The X-H2 also offers functions and interfaces that assist shooting, such as the subject-detection AF based on Deep Learning technology that automatically detects and tracks a broader range of subjects like animals and birds. The new features also include five-axis and up to seven stops of in-body image stabilisation*4, 0.8x magnification and 5.76 million dot EVF as well as a card slot compatible with CFexpressTM Type B cards*5.
*1 X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
*2 As of September 9, 2022, according to Fujifilm data
*3 Apple ProRes is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions
*4 When coupled with the FUJINON XF35mmF1.4 R
*5 CFexpress™ is a trademark or registered trademark of the CompactFlash Association
- Main product features
- Featuring the new X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR sensor and the high-speed X-Processor 5 to produce the highest image resolution in the history of the X Series
(1) The high-resolution 40.2MP sensor has an improved image-processing algorithm to enhance image resolution without compromising the S/N ratio, producing astonishing image quality. It also has an improved pixel structure to efficiently bring in a greater amount of light, enabling ISO125 as a new native base ISO. This is particularly beneficial during day-time outdoor shooting or to take advantage of the large aperture to produce bokeh.
(2) The use of the new sensor and resulting ability to control exposure time at a greater precision have improved the fastest shutter speed for the electronic shutter by 2.5 stops from the previous 1/32,000 sec to 1/180,000 sec. This allows users to leave the aperture wide open in glary conditions such as a sunny beach or a ski slope, or to capture a split-second motion.
(3) This is the first X Series camera featuring the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function. The camera uses the IBIS mechanism to shift the image sensor with high precision to carry out automatic shooting, recording 20 images, that are combined into a single frame using the dedicated software, “Pixel Shift Combiner”. This free software processes the captured frame to generate an image containing about 160 Million Pixels, which is perfect for commercial photography and digital archiving.
(4) The X-H2 supports the HEIF image format, which delivers 10-bit image quality in files up to 30% smaller than standard JPEG files, continuing to expand Fujifilm’s reputation of delivering high-quality images straight out of camera.
- Excellent video performance that caters to professional video production needs
(1) With the incorporation of the new sensor, 8K movies can be recorded internally at 30P in 4:2:2 10-bit colour. The X-H2 has a heat-dissipating design, the same as X-H2S, to enable recording 8K/30P movies for approximately 160 minutes*6, making 8K a practical option. Furthermore, it supports 8K over-sampling to produce high-quality 4K video, making maximum use of the high-resolution sensor to record movies in superior image resolution.
(2) X-H2 supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2 also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy.”*7.
(3) X-H2 features a digital zoom function*8 that uses the camera’s 40.2MP sensor to deliver up to 2x of digital zoom with little to no loss in resolution, when recording video in 4K. Using zoom lenses, get twice the reach and seamlessly transition to the digital zoom function when the lens reaches its maximum focal length.
(4) Combined with a compatible HDMI device from Atomos or Blackmagic Design, 12-bit RAW video output from X-H2 can be recorded as Apple ProRes or Blackmagic RAW at resolutions and frame rates of up to 8K and 29.97 frames per second.
(5) In addition to F-Log, X-H2 also supports F-Log2, which records an expanded dynamic range of 13+ stops*9. This range is wider than current F-Log, broadening post-production potential.
*6 When recording video at 25℃ from a cool start, with the auto power-off temperature set on High, H.265 4:2:0, a bitrate of 200Mbps, and vertical battery grip VG-XH using three batteries attached. The recording duration depends on remaining battery charge and the type and capacity of the memory card used. When the main unit heats up, filming may automatically stop.
*7 Proxy not available for 8K/30P and 8K/25P recording.
*8 Available in three modes: 4K HQ, 4K DCI HQ, and FHD
*9 When recording F-Log2, based on Fujifilm internal testing.
- Evolved AF performance that captures details accurately
(1) X-Processor 5 features subject-detection AF based on Deep Learning technology that automatically detects and tracks a broader range of subjects, including animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, planes, and trains – as well as human faces and eyes, so image-makers can concentrate on composition and creativity, confident that X-H2 will track focus accurately.
(2) The new high-resolution sensor has a greater number of phase detection pixels than current models, resulting in an improved ability to attain AF-S focus on various subject matter, such as landscape and portrait photography. Furthermore, X-H2 also incorporates the improved AF prediction algorithm, which was newly developed for the X-H2S, enabling stable focusing even when using AF-C.
(3) The X-H2 is newly equipped with a focus meter as a Manual Focus assist during movie recording, allowing for more precise focus adjustment. It may also be used in combination with the focus peaking feature.
(4) The movie AF algorithm has been optimised to improve autofocus accuracy, giving users a sense of confidence when using AF while filming 8K movies.
- Hardware and workflow that support the content creation experience
(1) A 5-axis in-body image stabilisation system, made possible by X-Processor 5 and a sensing control function, provides up to seven stops of compensation. This powerful feature gives users the freedom to handhold the camera in conditions that previously would have required support, even in low light.
(2) The X-H2 is equipped with a high-definition 5.76-million-dot EVF with 0.8x magnification. It boasts smooth refresh frame rate of approx. 120fps and significant improvement in controlling parallax and distortion which typically occur when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder for stellar visibility.
(3) The body design is the same as that of the X-H2S, with 79 weather-sealed points offering high levels of dust and moisture resistance. X-H2 is built to withstand the rigors of daily professional use and operate as normal in temperatures as low as -10°C. The top panel LCD screen, adjustable AF ON button, 1.62 million-dot vari-angle LCD monitor, and independent movie recording button support comfortable operation.
(4) The X-H2 has one CFexpress™ Type B memory card slot and one UHS-II SD memory card slot. Draw out the full potential of the X-H2 video performance using CFexpress™ Type B cards*10.
*10 See the Fujifilm website for a list of verified compatible cards: https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/cameras/list-of-supported-memory-cards
(5) The X-H2S/ X-H2 can be combined with the file transmitter “FT-XH” to enable wired and wireless LAN tethered video recording*11. Up to four X-H2S/ X-H2 cameras can be connected simultaneously to enable the following operations from a computer browser:
- Check and adjust camera settings for each camera
- Simultaneously start and stop video recording for all cameras
- Save, load, and copy camera settings*12
*11 Update to the latest firmware is required for X-H2S when using this function.
*12 Camera settings can be saved/ loaded to/ from a computer or tablet device.
(1) Vertical battery grip “VG-XH” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
This vertical battery grip is dust and moisture resistant and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as -10°C. It fits two of Fujifilm’s NP-W235 high-capacity batteries. The grip’s button layout is designed to provide equal operability whether holding the camera vertically or horizontally.
(2) File transmitter “FT-XH” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
This file transmitter features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered content creation or for creating sports/ media content. It can also be used as a vertical grip fitting two of Fujifilm’s NP-W235 high-capacity batteries. It can be combined with the X-H2S/ X-H2 to support the following communication specifications:
- FTP data transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB Smartphone tethering
- Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
- Remote recording function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; capable of controlling up to four X-H2S/ X-H2 cameras from a browser at the same time
(3) Cooling fan “FAN-001” (for the X-H2S/ X-H2)
Specifically designed for the X-H2S/ X-H2 to facilitate extended video recording in high temperatures.
The fan may be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable, supplying power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
(4) Cover kit “CVR-XH” (for the X-H2S/ X-H2)
This cover kit for the X-H2S/ X-H2 protects various terminals on the camera.
Items included in the kit:
1 x Sync terminal cover
1 x Hot shoe cover
1 x File transmitter/ vertical battery grip terminal cover
1 x Cooling fan terminal cover
1 x Memory card slot cover
- Product names, release date and prices
RRP (including GST)
Fujifilm X-H2 and XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR kit