Two and a half years ago I reviewed the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro. At the time, I waxed lyrical at its features and the amazing price for what you get. I later wrote a few tutorials, and these have consistently been our highest read pieces on the website. Indeed, the one entitled “Tutorial: Setting Preview and switching in Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro” has been our #1 story week after week for over 60 weeks now!
(You can read it here if you like)
I just checked out of curiosity, and the price has dropped of the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro and you can now get it for as low as $698 if you shop around (that price is at Videopro but I am sure others will price match).
For those who are not familiar with the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro here is a quick run down of what it does:
- Allows input connectivity of up to 4 HDMI input devices
- Allows you to connect one HDMI output monitoring device
- Allows input of 2 x 3.5mm based audio devices with volume control
- Allows you to switch between input devices, complete with built in dips, fades and transitions
- Allows previews before switching so you cue up correctly
- Lets you stream directly via Ethernet port straight to YouTube, Facebook, Twitch etc without any software intermediary
- By attaching a camera to the USB-C port it becomes a web cam with all above controls operational
- The built in USB-C port can have an SSD hard drive attached and streaming sessions can then be recorded for later use.
With optional (and free) ATEM Software Control,
- Allows control of Blackmagic Cameras
- Allows up to 20 graphics to be stored in memory (eg lower thirds, titles etc) and switch these in and out as you require
- Allows both upstream and downstream keying
- Has built in multiview so all HDMI input devices can be viewed simultaneously
- Gives you an audio desk for controlling on-camera audio as well as mic input audio
- Allows control of colour, LUMA and Chroma, plus patterns in graphic overlays
… and much more besides
If you have the slightest interest in anything the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro (or its siblings the ISO and Extreme) have to offer, I suggest you download the 180 odd page English language manual (other languages are also available in the one PDF document) to get comprehensive information. Get it here.
Be prepared to be amazed. Seriously.
For more info on the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini Pro, see the Blackmagic Design website here.