Reader Daryl Cross sent us in this tip. I am sure it could also be modified to suit phone screens when drone flying …
Thought you might find this interesting.
Was trying to find articles about DIY Shades for small external camera monitors – couldn’t really find any suitable ones so decided to make my own.
To start with I admit I am a bit of a cheapskate – don’t want to spend too much money of accessories in my video work.. I do most of my work outdoors and very early on I found that using an external 5″ monitor on my camera I was still getting too much glare, even with the shade that came with the monitor.
Looked around at ways this could be overcome and had a brainwave. As we eat a lot of ice cream in our household it seemed to me that if I could convert one of the small ice cream containers to fit over the existing shade on the monitor it would solve most of my glare problems. After trying out a number of different ways to make this “Ice cream Shade” finally came up with the following solution.
- Mark out an accurate section of the lid of the container to fit snugly over the monitor shade (reasonably tight so it won’t slip), cut out that section.
- Mark out a section to cut out on the bottom of the ice cream container for viewing through and cut that out.
- Spray paint the inside (and outside) of the container (and lid) with Matt Black Paint.
- Wait until dry and then give a second coat of Matt Black.
- Glue the lid on to the container with Super glue (or similar).
That’s it – you are finished. I have been using my “Ice Cream shade” without a hitch for at least three years now but can always make another one if need be in a couple of hours.