Blackmagic Design Announces DaVinci Resolve 17.3
New processing engine boosts speeds up to 3 times faster for 4K and 8K editing and grading on Apple Mac models with M1 and more!
Blackmagic Design today announced DaVinci Resolve 17.3 which adds support for a completely new processing engine that transforms the speed of DaVinci Resolve to work up to 3 times faster on Apple Mac models with the M1 chip. With this massive speed increase, customers can now play back, edit and grade 4K projects faster, and can even work on 8K projects on an Apple M1 notebook. The new processing engine uses tile based rendering, which also gives customers up to 30% longer battery life on laptop computers when working in DaVinci Resolve.
DaVinci Resolve 17.3 also supports a new option on Mac computers with M1 for H.265 hardware encoding. Customers can choose to prioritize speed vs quality when rendering, further improving render times up to 65%. Plus, DaVinci Resolve will now decode AVC Intra files using the media engine built into the Apple M1 chip, making decoding and playback faster when working with these file formats.
New Resolve FX controls have been added, such as new grid shapes and greater control when using mosaic blur, allowing customers to more precisely adjust the amount and appearance of pixellation. Keyer garbage mattes now have rotation controls, making it easier to remove unwanted items from view while new saturation and gamma controls on the glow plugin allow greater control and subtlety over lighting effects. Aperture diffraction in DaVinci Resolve Studio has new anamorphic aperture controls which allow a wider range of lenses to be emulated.
Fairlight audio also has improvements in latency with new drivers that allow adjustments to the input buffering and processing latency. This allows optimization of the process for customer specific hardware, which makes recording and playback easier and smoother. Better Fairlight export dialog means customers can export selected clips or tracks directly from the Fairlight page and include clip levels, fades, EQ and effects or iXML metadata as well as being able to normalize clips to match different loudness standards. This makes it easier and faster to pass on audio for further processing or inclusion in a larger project.
DaVinci Resolve 17 has over 300 new features and improvements including HDR grading tools, redesigned primary color controls, next generation Fairlight audio engine including Fairlight audio core and support for 2,000 real time audio tracks, plus dozens of other time saving tools for editors including a redesigned inspector, new bin sorting and metadata clip views.
“This is truly an amazing update that gives customers huge performance and power efficiency gains on Mac models with M1, and it totally transforms your computer, simply by downloading this free of charge DaVinci Resolve software update” said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO. “This speed increase is stunning and it’s hard to believe. I have not seen a speed improvement this large since the original 68000 to Power PC transition back in the 1990’s and it is just amazing. Who would have thought just a year ago that multiple 4K streams could be played back and edited natively on a MacBook Air, but it’s easy now on DaVinci Resolve with M1. The engineering team has worked so hard on this new image processing engine for DaVinci Resolve, and it is an incredibly exciting time to be developing software for the Mac!”
DaVinci Resolve 17.3 Features
Apple Silicon Performance
* Up to 3x faster new processing engine enabling 8K edit and grading.
* Improved thru-latency and adjustable processing and input buffers.
* Improved export dialog with naming, metadata and format control.
* Timeline clips can be selected from the Fairlight edit index.
* Improved Fairlight timeline ruler resolution.
* Buses can be reordered by dragging in the track index.
* New audio I/O preference options with support for separate I/O selections.
* Improved mix-down support for LRC, 5.0 and 7.0 track formats.
* Improved edit, nudge and fade behavior for linked clips.
* Colour Warper supports persistent default grid resolutions.
* HDR color controls support persistent default zone presets.
* Active playheads can be switched by clicking on the split screen viewer.
* New anamorphic aperture controls for Resolve FX Aperture Diffraction. Studio only.
* New shapes and finer mosaic control for Resolve FX Mosaic Blur.
* New rotation controls for Resolve FX Keyer garbage mattes.
* New sat and gamma controls and faster performance for Resolve FX Glow.
* List views in the media pool can be sorted from column selection.
* New badge to easily identify still clips on the timeline.
* Edits from sub-clips can now be match-framed to original media.
* Shape and iris transitions can be rotated from the inspector.
* Play around selection now works with transition selections.
* Newly added subtitles retain playhead position to allow text preview.
* Compound clip instances in the timeline can be renamed.
* Fusion compositions can be renamed from the inspector panel.
* Options to name and use full clip extents when creating a subclip.
* DRFX bundles can be double-clicked to install on Windows and Linux.
* Support for viewing the node type by holding Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-E.
Codecs and Deliver
* DaVinci Resolve Studio support for audio encoding in the encoder plugin SDK.
* Hardware accelerated AVC Intra decodes for on Apple Silicon.
* Support for decoding and encoding JPEG-HT .JPH image sequences.
* Improved H.264 and H.265 decode performance in Windows Intel systems.
* Optimized H.265 encodes for speed on Apple Silicon systems.
* Support for decoding MKV clips with VP9 video codecs.
* Improved decode performance for MKV clips with AAC and AC3 audio.
* Support for embedding MPEG2 bitstream captions in XDCAM clips.
* Improved startup speeds for disk databases with many projects.
* Support for simplified database creation and connection process.
* AAF imports now support translation of simple nested clips.
Availability and Price
DaVinci Resolve 17.3 is available now for download free of charge from the Blackmagic Design website.
Blackmagic Design Announces New Low Price for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K
New low price and powerful new DaVinci Resolve processing engine make high resolution workflows even more accessible!
Blackmagic Design today announced a new lower price for the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K of AU$9,435. This price reduction has been made possible by efficiencies in manufacturing combined with an improved supply of 12K sensors. However with the new rendering engine in DaVinci Resolve 17.3, showing speed improvements up to 3x when working in 4K and 8K resolutions, the new lower price will make high resolution workflows more accessible. This is an exciting innovation because it transforms high resolution workflows and makes them much lower cost. With this new low price for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K, a much wider range of customers will have access to feature film production.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K is available immediately from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for AU$9,435 .
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K is a revolution in digital film with a 12,288 x 6480 12K Super 35 sensor and 14 stops of dynamic range, built into the award winning URSA Mini body. The combination of 80 megapixels per frame, new color science and the flexibility of Blackmagic RAW makes working with 12K a reality. Oversampling from 12K gives customers the best 8K and 4K images with the subtle skin tones and extraordinary detail of high end still cameras. Customers can shoot at 60 fps in 12K, 120 fps in 8K and up to 240 fps in 4K Super 16. URSA Mini Pro 12K features an interchangeable PL mount, as well as built in ND filters, dual CFast and UHS-II SD card recorders, a SuperSpeed USB-C expansion port and more.
URSA Mini Pro 12K’s extreme resolution goes well beyond traditional motion picture film. Customers get the benefits of shooting with film including incredible detail, wide dynamic range and rich, deep color. Perfect for feature films, episodic television and immersive, large format IMAX. The incredible definition around objects makes it ideal for working with green screen and VFX including compositing live action and CGI. Super sampling at 12K means customers not only get better color and resolution at 8K, but also a smoothness that comes from making aliasing invisible.
The Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K features a revolutionary new sensor with a native resolution of 12,288 x 6480, which is an incredible 80 megapixels per frame. The Super 35 sensor has a superb 14 stops of dynamic range and a native ISO of 800. The new 12K sensor has equal amounts of red, green and blue pixels and is optimized for images at multiple resolutions. Customers can shoot 12K at 60 fps or use in-sensor scaling to allow 8K or 4K RAW at up to 120 fps without cropping or changing their field of view. URSA Mini Pro’s interchangeable lens mount lets customers choose from the widest range of vintage and modern cinema lenses, so customers can capture every ounce of character and detail from their favorite optics.
The URSA Mini Pro 12K sensor and Blackmagic RAW were designed together to make 12 bit RAW workflows in 12K effortless. As an incredibly efficient next generation codec Blackmagic RAW lets customers shoot 12K and edit on a laptop, a capability that simply isn’t possible with other codecs. The massive resolution of the sensor means you can reframe shots in post for delivery in 8K and 4K. It’s like a multi camera shoot with only one camera. And it’s perfect for great looking vertical and square video, too. The advanced design of the sensor and Blackmagic RAW means that customers can work in any resolution in post production instantly, without rendering, while retaining the full sensor’s color accuracy.
Only Blackmagic RAW makes cinema quality 12-bit, 80 megapixel images at up to 60 frames a reality. Constant quality Q0 and Q5 options and new Q1 and Q3 lock the quality level, allowing compression to adapt, matching the detail of the scene. Constant bitrate encoding options 5:1, 8:1, 12:1 and the new 18:1 are designed to give customers the best possible images with predictable and consistent file size. Customers can record RAW to two cards simultaneously so customers can shoot 12K or 8K to either CFast or UHS-II cards, even at high frame rates. Blackmagic RAW stores camera metadata, lens data, white balance, digital slate information and custom LUTs to ensure consistency of image on set and through post production.
Shooting RAW in 12K preserves the deepest control of detail, exposure and color during post. Oversampling means customers get extremely sharp 8K without harsh edges. Best of all, Blackmagic RAW is designed to accelerate 12K for post production, making it as easy to work with as standard HD or Ultra HD files. It is highly optimized, multi‑threaded, works across multiple CPU cores and is also GPU accelerated to work with Apple Metal, CUDA and OpenCL. So customers can always work with their camera RAW files without having to make proxies. Blackmagic RAW 12K images provide unprecedented resolution and quality for color, keying, compositing, reframing, stabilization and tracking in 4K or 8K.
Blackmagic Generation 5 Color Science features a new film curve designed to make full use of the massive amount of color data from the new URSA Mini Pro 12K sensor. This delivers even better color response for more pleasing skin tones, and better rendering of highly saturated colors such as neon signs and car tail lights in high contrast scenes. Generation 5 Color Science informs complex Blackmagic RAW image processing, with color and dynamic range data from the sensor preserved via metadata for use in post production. Compatible with all previously shot Blackmagic RAW files, Generation 5 Color Science lets customers take advantage of the new film curve even with their existing work.
URSA Mini Pro 12K is multiple cameras in one, shooting standard resolutions and frame rates in 4K, 8K and even insanely detailed 12K. With a massive 80 megapixels per frame at 60 fps in RAW customers can capture perfect stills and motion shots in a single camera at the same time. Customers can shoot up to 60 fps in 12K 12,288 x 6480 17:9. For higher frame rates, customers can shoot 120 fps at 8192 x 4320, 160 fps at 8192 x 3408 and even window the sensor to Super 16 to capture 4K at an incredible 240 fps at 4096 x 2160 DCI. URSA Mini Pro 12K has flexible frame rate and resolution options, and captures with improved motion rendering which means that customers get smoother edges in 8K and 4K even at lower frame rates.
Different projects require different lenses which is why URSA Mini Pro features an interchangeable lens mount. Customers can quickly switch between PL, EF and F mount lenses on the URSA Mini Pro 12K. That means customers can work with high quality large PL cinema lenses, EF or F mount photographic lenses making URSA Mini Pro compatible with the widest possible range of professional lenses.
URSA Mini Pro includes a full version of DaVinci Resolve Studio. Customers get the world’s most advanced solution that combines professional editing, color correction, audio post and visual effects all in one software tool. DaVinci Resolve is used to finish more Hollywood feature films than any other solution, so users will get the best possible post production tools to edit native video from their camera and retain every bit of quality. Whether users are working on major Hollywood feature films, episodic television, music videos, commercials or even the latest YouTube shoot, DaVinci Resolve Studio gives customers a completely lossless workflow for native editing, color correction, effects, audio and delivery.
“Since we released Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K last year, we have been working hard to increase the supply of sensors and make improvements in our manufacturing processes to help reduce costs”, said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “This new lower price, combined with the incredible 3x faster speed of DaVinci Resolve makes high resolution 4K and 8K workflows more accessible. It’s totally mind blowing that you can edit high resolution 8K in DaVinci Resolve, on an Apple M1 notebook!”
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K Features
* 12,288 x 6480 12K Super 35 sensor.
* Use for feature films, VFX and high end TVCs.
* 14 stops of dynamic range and native 800 ISO.
* New Blackmagic RAW for real time 12K editing.
* Blackmagic RAW optimized for Metal, CUDA and OpenCL.
* Generation 5 Color Science with new film curve.
* Shoot up to 60 fps in 12K, 120 fps at 8K and 240 fps at 4K.
* Dual card CFast recording at up to 900MB/s.
* PL mount included and optional EF and F lens mounts available.
* SuperSpeed USB-C for recording to external disks.
* Includes DaVinci Resolve Studio for post production.
* Compatible with new Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder.
Availability and Price
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K is available immediately for AU$9,435 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.