FUJIFILM Australia has announced the launch of the mirrorless digital camera “Fujifilm X-H2S” (hereinafter X-H2S) in July 2022. The camera joins the lineup of X Series mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their outstanding image quality for both stills and video, delivered with Fujifilm‘s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The X-H2S is the new flagship model boasting the highest performance of any X Series camera to date. This has been made possible by the new stacked-layer back-illuminated 26.16MP “X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS sensor, capable of reading signals 4 times faster than the previous modeI, and the high-speed “X-Processor 5” boasting double the processing speed of the previous modeI.
“The new camera is all about high-speed performance. It also offers photographers and videographers many new functionalities to provide peace of mind when capturing any decisive moment,’’ said Shaun Mah, General Manager of the Electronic Imaging & Optical Devices Division of FUJIFILM Australia. “This camera could not have come at a better time, as it qualifies for the new 3 Year Warranty announced in May, so Fujifilm customers get even more value at an accessible price,” added Mah.
The X-H2S features an evolved AF system to enable continuous high-speed shooting up to 40 frames per second, a newly-developed subject-recognition AF technology, and capability to record 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P video. Other features include the five-axis in-body image stabilisation that offers up to a 7.0- stop advantage, highly-robust magnesium body, hardware that incorporates operability improved from the previous model, as well as extensive interface options including the new slot for a CFexpressTM Type B card and an optional file transmitter (sold separately). The new camera caters to the diverse photographic needs of professional photographers and videographers in categories including sports photography, bird photography and other on-location work.
Key product features
Best capability to track a moving subject in the history of the X Series to capture decisive photo opportunities
- The camera is equipped with a back-illuminated stacked-layer 26.16MP “X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS” sensor, the fifth generation of X Series’ image sensors. It has signal readout speed about 4 times faster than the current model to achieve blackout-free continuous shooting of up to 40 frames per second. The camera controls phase-detection pixels independently from image display during the burst mode. This triples the number of calculations in phase detection information from the current model and enables high-speed focusing even during high-speed continuous shooting of 40 frames per second, thereby significantly improving AF accuracy in the burst mode.
- The use of the new sensor and the processor is coupled with an increased built-in memory buffer capacity to dramatically increase the number of frames that can be continuously recorded in the burst mode. When using the electronic shutter, the camera can shoot over 1,000 frames continuously at up to 30fps in JPEG and 20fps in RAW.
- The EVF uses a high-resolution 5.76-million-dot OLED panel with a magnification of 0.8x. The smooth viewfinder with the frame rate of approx. 120fps also offers improved visibility, thanks to strong suppression of distortion that can occur when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder, thereby enabling accurate tracking of subject movements.
Substantially evolved AF performance with the use of new devices and enhanced algorithm
- The new devices and improved prediction algorithm for AF have led to a major boost in the camera’s capability to track a moving subject and autofocus accurately in Zone AF or in low-contrast conditions. This means a continuously moving subject can be accurately tracked, an ideal feature for sports and wildlife photography.
- The new image processor features a subject-detection AF function, developed with Deep Learning technology. It detects and automatically tracks not only the human face /eyes but also animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes and trains to maintain autofocus. Users can concentrate on photographic opportunities and framing, as the camera can keep a targeted subject in focus constantly.
Evolved video performance to cater to diverse needs
- Use of the new sensor and processor has enabled saving high-definition video at 6.2K/30P 4:2:2 10bit internally, possible while retaining extensive colour information. The camera also supports filming high- speed 4K/120P video so that momentary actions of fast-moving subjects can be presented in smooth slow-motion with fine details.
- The sensor‘s readout speed during video recording has been reduced to as fast as 1/180 seconds. The rolling-shutter effect is well controlled to present a moving subject naturally.
- X-H2S supports three Apple ProRes codecs: ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2S also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy, streamlining the overall workflow from filming to post production.
- AF performance for video recording has been enhanced. The camera supports the AF+MF function in the video mode and offers the subject detection AF function also during video filming.
- Another new feature is F-Log2 capability with dynamic range expanded up to 14 stops. The greater dynamic range than the current F-log broadens post production potential.
- To cater to the needs of professional photographers, the camera has a new heat-dissipating structure to substantially increase the maximum video recording time and enable recording 240 minutes of 4K/60P video. Users may attach the optional cooling fan “FAN-001” to enable extended video recording even in high-temperature conditions.
Hardware/design/operabiIity to assist users’ shooting experience
- The camera features an all new five-axis in-body image stabilisation mechanism, which offers up to 7.0-stop advantage thanks to the new processor and a new sensing control function. Users can comfortably choose to hand hold the camera to shoot active situations such as sports or in low light conditions.
- The new camera inherits the popular design features of the X-H1, such as a large prip that works well with large lenses, an LCD display on the top panel for users to check settings at any time, and a highly robust camera body that withstands heavy professional use. Furthermore, user feedback has been reflected to bring more improvement in operability:
- The shutter release button’s operational feel has been adjusted to improve operability when it is half-pressed, helping users release the shutter exactly as intended.
- The design of the larpe prip, one of X-H1’s popular features, has been improved to make it easier to hold when using a long or large aperture lens.
- A standalone video recording button has been added for enhanced video operability.
- A 1.62-million-dot vari-angle LCD monitor that allows for ease of use when not using the EVF or when vlogging.
- Compared to previous models, the X-H2S offers improved operability with its buttons and dials, e.p. improved button materials and load adjustment to the AF ON button, so that users can handle the camera exactly as intended.
- Shutter durability has been further improved, withstanding 500,000 actuations in the company’s testing.
- The camera features dual memory card slots supporting CFexpressTM Type B and SD UHS-II cards. Use the CFexpressTM Type B card with high-speed data processing performance to draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast continuous shooting and video performance.
FUJIFILM Australia Announces the NEW FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Lens
FUJIFILM Australia is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR (XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR) in July, 2022. This lens joins the extensive lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series range of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR covers focal lengths ranging from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format). It supports teleconverters and, if fitted with the XF2X TC WR, its range is extended up to 1200mm (equivalent to 1828mm in the 35mm film format), allowing flexible framing while shooting distant subject matter, including wildlife and sports. Furthermore, the lens boasts a lightweight design, plus fast and highly accurate AF, and offers perfect operability with the NEW Fujifilm X-H2S and its subject tracking performance even at the super-telephoto end.
Super-telephoto range is prone to image degradation with axial chromatic aberration, however, the XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR benefits from its construction, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution and edge to edge clarity across the entire zoom range.
The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR has been designed with a focus on being lightweight. The result is a non-extending Inner Zoom lens that weighs just 1605g and has minimal shift in weight distribution for a stable grip and better balance. Users are assured of easy use even during extended photographic expeditions for wildlife or sports photography.. The fast AF system, driven by a linear motor, attains a perfect focus quickly and accurately even in the super-telephoto range and even when fitted with a teleconverter, where focusing is difficult due to a shallow depth of field, thereby assuring the ability to capture a decisive moment.
Key product features
Fujifilm’s longest super-telephoto zoom lens
- The new lens covers Fujifilm’s longest focal length range, from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format), making it a perfect choice for wildlife, birds and sports photography.
- The lens, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, thoroughly suppresses axial chromatic aberration, typically seen in super-telephoto lenses. It delivers a high level of edge-to-edge image-resolving performance across the entire zoom range.
- The HT-EBC coating, typically used in broadcast lenses, has been applied on all elements to achieve high transmittance and low reflectance despite containing 24 lens elements.
- It supports “XF2X TC WR” and “XF1.4X TC WR” Teleconverters. When coupled with the XF2X TC WR, this lens covers focal lengths range from 300mm to 1200mm (equivalent to 457mm – 1828mm in the 35mm film format).
Lightweight design, enabling extended shooting in a variety of situations
- It weighs just 1605g despite being a super-telephoto zoom reaching up to 600mm (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format). Two Super ED elements are used as frontmost elements to keep the lens barrel small while maintaining an advanced level of image-resolving performance. The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure. The result is a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution.
- The lens body is matte silver to mitigate its temperature increase during operation. This reduces the risk of lens heating even during photography in sweltering heat, giving users peace of mind.
- Magnesium alloy is used for the internal base frame that supports the lens structure to keep the weight low and make it robust at the same time.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 19 locations to ensure dust- and weather-resistance and the ability to operate at temperatures down to -10 degrees Celsius. It can withstand use in a variety of environments, even in rough weather.
5-stop image stabilisation mechanism
- At the super-telephoto 600mm focal length (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format), the longest in Fujifilm’s lineup, the degree of camera shake becomes too great to be controlled with in-body image stabilisation and therefore it becomes necessary to apply a fine optical axis adjustment in the lens before an image is formed on the sensor. The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR features a high-precision sensing and control system to deliver a 5-stop optical image stabilisation mechanism, one of the strongest for super-telephoto zooms, making it easier than ever to shoot at the super-telephoto range, most susceptible to camera shake. Users can take full advantage of the mobility of the compact X Mount when shooting super-telephoto photography hand-held.
Multiple functions for fast, silent and easy AF operation
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight focus lens group with a linear motor to achieve a fast and silent AF. The focus is attained quickly and precisely in just 0.25 seconds even in the hard-to-focus super-telephoto range, ensuring the ability to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
- The Focus Preset function is featured so that the lens remembers the focus for a location pre-defined with the SET button. Users can keep shooting without having to re-adjust focus on a targeted subject.
- The Focus Limiter is another feature, allowing users to restrict the lens’ AF range. This can effectively shorten AF time when photographing a subject that is 5 metres away or more. The Focus Limiter can be activated with the Shooting Distance Range switch.
FUJIFILM Australia Announces the NEW FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR Lens
FUJIFILM Australia is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR” (hereinafter XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR), due to go on sale in September, 2022. The new lens joins the extensive lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series mirrorless digital cameras, renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom in a compact design facilitates a variety of shooting situations, including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto). Furthermore, the lens is capable of producing premium-quality movies thanks to the advanced video performance Fujifilm has nurtured over many years in the fields of broadcast and cine lenses. This lens caters to high-quality imagery for both stills and videos in a variety of situations.
The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR is a power zoom lens that offers the constant maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire range from wide angle to telephoto and maximum magnification ratio of x0.2 to capture close-up shots.
The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR lends itself well to filming video as it supprosess change in angle of view during focusing and optical axis shift during zooming. Users can zoom and focus with peace of mind while filming video, thus facilitating premium quality video production. In addition to the regular zoom and focus rings, the lens is equipped with additional video features i.e. a variable zoom/focus control ring and a zoom button for constant zooming. These versatile video functions have only been made possible thanks to the expertise of the FUJINON Lens brand.
The lens provides hybrid shooting capability for any scene in both stills and videos.
Key product features
Broad range of focal lengths for superior stills and videos
- The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR consists of 15 lens elements in 12 groups, including three aspherical elements and three ED elements to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion and chromatic aberration for excellent image-resolving performance. Users can precisely capture fine details during information heavy landscape photography at wide angle, as well as telephoto close-ups of subjects such as in portraiture.
- Optimum positioning of the focus lens suppresses focus breathing optically. Advanced technology, on which FUJINON cine lenses are built, reduces change in angle of view during focusing in video-filming to offer a superior filming experience.
- The aspherical elements and ED elements are effectively positioned to achieve the 6.7x zoom ratio and compact design, while also offering the maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire zoom range.
- The optimum positioning of the aspherical elements enables close-up photography at the maximum magnification ratio of x0.2 with the minimum working distance of just 46cm from the front most lens element across the entire zoom range.
Fast and highly accurate AF
- The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight focus lens group with a linear motor. The compact design of the focus lens group facilitates precision AF at approx. 0.02 seconds, ensuring that users do not miss a decisive moment.
- The XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR’s focus tracking performance is dramatically improved when it is mounted on the Fujifilm X-H2S, also announced today. The lens supports the camera’s high speed focus drive mechanism to maintain a natural focus on a moving subject even during video-filming.
Diverse video-filming functions for easy video production
- The aperture drive control has been updated to successfully suppress exposure shift linked to aperture adjustments. When the level of luminosity changes, the aperture transitions smoothly so that users can comfortably film a scene with a rapid change of brightness.
- The lens features a zoom.focus control ring, which allows users to control zooming or focusing at variable speed. During video filming, users can control the pace of zooming or focusing exactly as they intend for greater freedom.
- The lens also comes with a zoom button ,which can drive zooming at a constant pace, allowing anyone to master video production that involves zooming.
- When combined with the mirrorless digital camera, the Fujifilm X-H2S and optional accessory FT-XH, also announced today, the XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR can be used to remotely film videos. The lens and camera used with it can be controlled online in a browser to enable multi-camera shooting with limited staff availability.
Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
- The aspherical elements and ED elements are effectively positioned to achieve a lightweight design, weighing just 460g and measuring 123.5mm in length, making it easily portable to facilitate agile filming.
- The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure. The result is a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. Additionally, instead of the conventional cam barrel, in which the lens barrel rotates, this lens uses a smooth power zoom mechanism that drives the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor to achieve high quality zooming with no optical axis shift across the entire zoom range.
Dust and weather-resistant structure capable of operating at low temperatures
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust- and weather-resistance and the ability to operate at temperatures down to -10 degrees Celsius, allowing users to shoot in any situation with peace of mind.