It never rains but it pours says the old saying. And in the world of top shelf video editing software, this last few weeks has certainly seen that happen. In fact, not only has it poured, but there has positively been a deluge with Blackmagic Design releasing a major update to Da Vinci Resolve (now version 15), MAGIX about to release Vegas Pro 16 with some stunning new additions and a program that some might overlook but shouldn’t, Pinnacle Studio – a Corel product – has been updated to version 22.
Those who have used any of these applications will know they are not by any stretch of the imagination, “Lite” products but instead belong in the NLE heavyweight category along with the likes of Adobe’s Creative Cloud, AVID Media Composer, Grass Valley EDIUS 9 and Final Cut X.
All three are under heavy testing by the busy beaver’s at FV^VR Central, and we’ll have individual precis of each app in due course, so far now, I’ll confine this to an overview of each and new features.
(Due to MAGIX embargos, the Vegas 16 component of this story is on hold until we can get confirmation what we have said does not violate any agreements. Stay tuned and we’ll let you know ASAP what we can / cannot say).
DaVinci Resolve 15
DaVinci Resolve 15 is a massive update that fully integrates visual effects and motion graphics, making it the world’s first solution to combine professional offline and online editing, colour correction, audio post production, multi user collaboration and now visual effects together in one software tool. DaVinci Resolve 15 adds an entirely new Fusion page with over 250 tools for compositing, paint, particles, animated titles and more. In addition, DaVinci Resolve 15 includes a major update to Fairlight audio, along with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colourists have asked for.
DaVinci Resolve 15 continues to revolutionize post production by combining 4 extremely high-end applications as different pages in one single piece of software. The edit page has all the tools professional editors need for both offline and online editing, the colour page features the world’s most advanced colour correction tools, the Fairlight audio page is designed specifically for audio post production, and the new Fusion page gives visual effects and motion graphics artists everything they need to create feature film quality effects and animations. All it takes is a single click to instantly move between editing, colour, effects and audio.
This gives individual users unlimited creative flexibility because they can learn and explore different toolsets. It also enables collaboration so people with different talents can work together on the same project at the same time. Because of these new features, DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio was awarded the prestigious 2018 Engineering Excellence Award by the Hollywood Professional Association (HPA). The awards are designed to highlight outstanding technical and creative ingenuity in media and content production. DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio is the only system that lets editors, colourists, visual effects artists, and audio engineers all work in the same project at the same time.
The DaVinci Resolve 15 collaborative workflow dramatically speeds up post production because customers no longer need to import, export or translate projects between different software applications, and work no longer needs to be conformed when changes are made. Everything is in the same software application.
The free version of DaVinci Resolve 15 can be used for professional work and has more features than virtually every other paid application for post-production. DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio, which adds multi user collaboration, 3D, VR, dozens of additional filters and effects, unlimited network rendering and other advanced features such as temporal and spatial noise reduction, is available to own for only AU$419.
There are no annual subscription fees or ongoing licensing costs. DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio costs less than all other cloud-based software subscriptions and it does not require an internet connection once the software has been activated. That means customers don’t have to worry about losing work in the middle of a job if there is no internet connection.
New features include:
- Improved performance when rendering H.264 clips.
- Clip names can be added as part of a window burn.
- Added support for HTML text formatting in subtitles.
- Added support for 2D and 3D title templates.
- Subclip extents can now be changed from the Edit timeline.
- Dynamic Trim icon has been added to the toolbar with slip and slide indicators.
- Audio automation data can now be edited on Fairlight page.
- FairlightFX now include presets and customers can now create their own.
- Sound libraries can now be created using DaVinci Resolve disk databases.
- Initial ResolveFX and OpenFX plugin support has been added to the Fusion page.
- New bypass Colour and Fusion effects button has been added to all pages.
- Fusion compositions can now be copied and applied to additional clips.
- MediaIn nodes now let customers modify trim and media properties.
- Saver nodes have been added to the Fusion page.
- Clip level blanking output is now supported on the Colour page.
- Nodes can now be assigned custom colours on the Colour page.
- Compositing images with transparency have been improved.
- Optical flow performance has been dramatically improved.
- DCTL support has been extended and now supports ResolveFX.
- On-screen control for OpenFX and ResolveFX are now more responsive.
- Added support for encoding CEA-708 closed captions in MXF OP1a clips.
- Added support for encoding EXR clips with alpha channels.
- Added support for importing audio clip levels from AAF imports.
- New French and Portuguese language localization.
- Improved codec and format listing on the Deliver page.
- Simultaneous monitoring of SDR and HDR for DolbyVisionTM and HDR10+.
- New support for importing audio only AAF timelines.
- New support for Final Cut Pro X XML version 1.8.
For even more details, or to download Da Vinci Resolve 15, go to www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/.
MAGIX Vegas Pro 16
(Under review for embargo reasons. Will release very soon)
Pinnacle Studio 22
Pinnacle’s flagship video editing software that offers a whole bunch of new powerful features, precise editing controls, and premium effects. With new Three- and Four-Point Editing, Colour Grading, dynamic Split Screen videos, MultiCam Capture Lite, and more, Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate gives users a complete collection of pro-inspired features to express their unique vision and achieve stunning results.
Pinnacle’s own blurb states “Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 22 continues to push the boundaries of what’s possible in consumer video editing with new features” but we reckon that this undersells the capability of the package, as these features take Studio 22 beyond the “consumer” level and into the so-called “pro” area.
New features include:
- New! Colour Grading: Set the tone and mood of your video with new powerful colour grading controls, including colour correction, colour wheels, LUT, waveform scope, and more. Use Colour Grading to match the colour of two clips captured in different lighting, or get inspired and create a sun-kissed setting or ice blue landscape.
- New! Three- and Four-Point Editing: Enjoy the ultimate level of flexibility and precision. Mark in and out points on your clip and on the timeline to insert and place clips with accuracy.
- New! MultiCam Capture™ Lite:Produce engaging videos by recording your screen and webcam simultaneously. Capture and combine two video streams, including captured video, audio, and microphone sound seamlessly. Now included directly in Pinnacle Studio 22, MultiCam Capture Lite integrates perfectly with MultiCam Editing to bring your production together.
- New! Split Screen Video with Keyframes: Add movement to your split screen video frames with new keyframe-based controls. Show off multiple streams simultaneously, create unique transitions or effects, and more.
- New! Create ‘Tiny Planet’ Effects: Easily import your 360° video footage and start editing. Now you can give your audience a unique perspective by converting footage into a spherical panorama to create ‘tiny planet’ or ‘rabbit hole’ effects! These new creative options add to a robust 360° editing experience that supports popular 360° formats, and enables you to correct colour, add titles, trim, and export as 360° video – or choose your angle and convert your 360° footage to a standard view.
- Enhanced! Pinnacle MyDVD®: With a new, streamlined user interface, it’s now faster and easier to burn your video projects to disc with 100+ customizable menus, submenus, chapters, and music.
- Enhanced! Effects from NewBlueFX: Enhance, optimize, and accelerate your productivity with NewBlue Video Essentials 1. Try out Skin Touch Up, Fisheye, and more premium effects from this popular collection from NewBlueFX.
In addition to these new features, Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate delivers a wealth of highly creative and advanced HD and 4k video editing options, including keyframe-based controls, dynamic transitions, track transparency, and stop motion animation.
Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate is part of the Pinnacle Studio family that also includes Pinnacle Studio 22 Plus and Pinnacle Studio 22. To learn more about the Pinnacle Studio 22 product lineup, please refer to this comparison chart.
The Aussie price of Pinnacle Studio 22 is AUD$144.95 which is frankly, remarkable.